10 things to do in and around Manchester
1. Ascend to the Cloud 23 bar in the Beetham Tower, the tallest building in the UK outside London, and enjoy spectacular views over the city and the Cheshire plain.
2. Stroll around Castlefield Urban Heritage Park, site of the original Roman Manchester and one of the greatest freight transhipment sites of the early industrial age, now redeveloped with picturesque waterways. Note also the Castlefield Market, held every Sunday.
3. Go walking in the woods around Alderley Edge, a wide sandstone ridge offering excellent views across the plain, and read up on local traditions of wizardry and enchanted warriors.
4. Visit Manchester Cathedral and explore its development from the Collegiate Church of medieval Manchester.
5. Take a trip to the leafy southern suburb of Didsbury, and potter around the Fletcher Moss Botanical Garden.
6. Take the Metrolink to Bury, then board a vintage steam or diesel train on the East Lancashire Railway heritage route. Pubs and station refreshment rooms along the way make this a particular treat for ale-lovers!
7. Watch headline comedians or open-mic hopefuls at the Frog and Bucket comedy club.
8. Try indoor ice climbing at Vertical Chill in the Ellis Brigham shop on Deansgate.
9. Find out why St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church is known locally as the Hidden Gem.
10. Walk or cycle the Fallowfield Loop, a level green path through the south of the city along the path of a former railway.
And if you need more suggestions...
See the following sites for possibilities:
http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/Manchester (For those with children)