Travel to the Ibis, Charles Street
The address of this hotel is: Charles Street, Manchester, M1 7DG, +44 161 272 5000
Don’t be confused: this Ibis is on the corner of Charles Street and Princess Street, and is sometimes called the Ibis Princess Street. But there is another Ibis at the corner of Princess Street and Portland Street.
From Manchester Airport
We recommend the Airport rail link to Manchester Piccadilly rail station as the fastest and cheapest way to get close to the hotel. (Manchester Oxford Road station is similarly close, but not notably more convenient.)
You will find the rail link at Manchester Airport by following signs from Arrivals to ‘The Station’ (this is the name for the Airport’s combined train, bus and coach station, serving all three terminals). Journey times vary from 13 minutes (non-stop) to 25 minutes. Piccadilly services depart at approximately 5-minute intervals in the daytime, and there are at least three services per hour at all times from 04.00 to around 01.20 (1.20am).
As of July 2013, a single (one-way) ticket from Manchester Airport to Piccadilly or Oxford Road costs £4.70 during peak travel hours or £4.00 off-peak.
Alternatively, taxis are available. See From Manchester Airport to the city centre for full details.
From Manchester Piccadilly rail station
The hotel is around 7 minutes’ walk from the station as follows:
- Exit the station by the Fairfield Street exit (down escalators near Platforms 10 to 14: follow signs for Buses and Taxis, Metrolink, Way Out to Fairfield Street)
- At the main road crossing outside, cross ahead and then right to the Bull’s Head pub.
- Bear to the left of the pub, along Granby Row. Follow Granby Row as it becomes a pedestrian path.
- At the road junction, turn left onto Sackville Street and walk under the brick railway bridge.
- At the Retro Bar turn right onto Charles Street. You will see the Ibis up ahead.
From Manchester Oxford Road rail station
The hotel is around 5 minutes’ walk from Oxford Road station:
- Exit the station and go down the steps on your right, cross the cobbled courtyard, and turn right onto Oxford Street (or, avoiding the steps, take the road sloping downwards to your left, turn right and immediately right again at the bottom onto Oxford Street).
- Continue down Oxford Street under the railway bridge, and turn left at the HSBC bank onto Charles Street. You will see the Ibis towards the end of the street on the right.
How to get from the hotel to University Place (main Congress venue)
Walking: around 15 minutes, Princess Street - Brook Street - Grosvenor Street - Oxford Road.
Bus: Monday to Friday daytime, the 147 bus links Charles Street iwth University Place, journey time probably around 10 minutes. Evenings and weekends, the 50 bus route down Upper Brook Street may be useful (probably 5 to 10 minutes).